Wednesday 20 August 2008

Enid Blyton reigns supreme

10 MILLION copies a year and still going strong!

I always knew it, I’ve always said it; now I’ve been vindicated.

Enid Blyton was my favourite author when I was a kid. Everyone else has been telling me, “Who-ever believed what she wrote? It was such total make-believe.”

Actually, I think the point is EVERYONE believed what she wrote. Didn’t you? I was enthralled by her books, I devowered them as fast as mum would buy them. Enid Blyton was a great storyteller.

J.K. Rowling endured an unusual defeat on Tuesday when Enid Blyton was voted top of the poll to find Britain's best-loved author.

Next came Roald Dahl, with Rowling actually sitting in third place.

Enid has sold more than 500 million books and is best known for her "Famous Five" books and her incredible “Secret Seven” series.

Critics have said her books are sexist, racist and simplistic. It shows how wrong they are. Enid Blyton’s stories remain very popular, still selling more than 10 million copies a year, each of them drawing readers into a previous world of untroubled kids and "beastly" grown-ups.

I wish I could create something like she has. Hats off to Enid!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To Write A Story - 20 Ways To Write A Story Better
20 Things You Should Know About How To Format A Book
Mastering Conflict In Your Story Characters

No comments: