Tell Me a Story - opinion
Anyone who's thinking of writing a book ought to write a blog. Whether you've completed your 'great work' or just thinking of starting, writing a blog is a good idea.
- But why waste time writing a blog when you could be doing productive work?
Well for starters, any writing is productive. Look on a blog as practice for the real thing. The more you're used to putting words together, the easier it becomes.
However, don't run away with the idea that you'll suddenly have dozens of fans just because you blog. It isn't that you'll even have regular followers at the start, but eventually you'll build up a 'presence' on the web. It's slow, it's time consuming, but over time it starts to happen.
Your name will gradually filter into the 'ether' and hopefully be remembered by some.... and I've read that a book - in fact any artifact - needs to be seen at least seven times before a prospective buyer becomes a firm purchaser.
So start early - your name is what you want sell .... not just a book.
If you DON'T blog.
- If you DON'T blog, your name won't be known in the blogosphere.
- If you DON'T blog, you can't possibly have a ready-made following.
- If you DON'T blog, other writers who are bloggers won't know you exist.
If you DO blog.
- If you DO blog, there's a chance that some editor or publisher will notice your work .... Okay, okay, I know it's a remote possiblity, but who'd want to miss an opportunity like that.
- If you DO blog, readers will see how professional you are and have a chance to develop a relationship with you
- If you DO blog, agents, editors, and publishers appreciate a writer who is ready to promote their own work, and the Internet is far and away the most efficient way to accomplish this.
All in all, I suppose it's rather like a lottery ticket. If you don't purchase you'll never win....
So, get stuck into that blog. At the very worst, a handful of people might start to recognize your name.... and at best - well you could just have a ready made readership waiting for that book.
- Next post on Tell Me a Story.
Holidays in Alicante - the Hidden Spain
Lens Coating - What Everybody Ought to Know
Conserving Water - Your Must-Know Guide