Tell Me a Story - writing advice
Are you going off the rails, are you lost about what your plot should be doing? Look no further. Check out these simple rules and make sure your story follows them.
A plot should always contain:-
Don't forget that your plot HAS to be plausible, yet larger than life
- Maintain a notebook of ideas and keep it at hand; it will help you plan your story
- If you get stuck, try rearranging other writer’s ideas
- At a basic level, your plot is simply an elaboration of the theme (see earlier post)
- Don’t ignore rules of cause and effect. Your plot must always be rational, don't let things happen without good reason.
- A plot should be based on what you know and are familiar with. If you don’t know, find out - do your research.
- Study other books to find how different authors conduct their plots - don't plagiarize - learn.
- Remember that there is no such thing as a new plot. Become skilled at dealing with old plots in fresh ways.
Follow these simple lines and you'll soon be on the right track
- Next post on Tell Me a Story