- Nina Klokset Returns
- Welcome back Nina. Hope you had a good Christmas.
- Nina, do you have a 'real' job other than writing / singing, and if so, what is it? What are some other jobs you've had in your life?
I want them to know someone cares for them, and wants the best for them, that they can do whatever they set their mind on. Being a teenager is not always easy, and if you also have a lot to struggle with in your personal life, at school and so on, it is even harder.
I can't save the world, but I can do my part, and maybe help one kid understand just how special he is... I'm educated in working with children and youth, and my wish is to use my own experiences in helping kids who struggle. I am a living proof, that you can overcome those obstacles, the challenges that are in front of you. I want to be that person who at least can help them get a glimpse of hope in a world that to them seems dark and hopeless.
- Fine sentiments indeed. Have you always wanted to be a singer / writer?
I remember at 16, listening to Mariah Carey`s Christmas CD, and that very moment, I decided that one day, I would sing. Not sound like her of course, I've always been very aware that trying to sound like somebody else is not a good thing. I have my voice, and she has hers. But I wanted to be just as good as her. I wanted to reach the highest notes; I wanted to reach the deepest ones.
Today, am able to do that. It takes practice and practice, and of course, the right use of correct techniques, but once you manage it, you are so much freer in using your voice in the way you wish. I believe in finding your own sound, and that requires a lot of work.
I love playing with different techniques, yet I believe that in most cases, less is more. That is why I for an example prefer listening to the `old` Mariah Carey. I like artists who use a lot of ornaments, and vibrato, and other techniques in their singing as long, as they don’t do it on every song...Then it can easily look like a bad play with expensive costumes.... Big costumes little soul....
- Nina, I couldn't agree with you more. It's one of the things I preach about writing as well. Tell us a little bit about your song/s. What are their titles; which is your favourite if you have more than one, and briefly let us know what they are about.
My first song was 'Angels Without Wings'. That song, is dedicated to all the people who have been there for me, the people who made my day brighter with a smile, the people who never stopped believing in me, the people who gave me a helping hand when I needed the, the most.... the people who have taught me so much about life, about myself. That song is for them.
I have also written a song called 'Grey roof blues'. It was inspired by one of those trivial things that happen. I was at a friends place, she was going to set up a party tent at her veranda, she wanted the one that was dark blue, and then as she was going to put it up, it turned out to be grey. I got so inspired I wrote the song. It is about the grey days in life, when you wake up, and look out the window, and the sky’s grey and you feel like uhh! As I said, trivial things often give me inspiration to write songs!
- Have you ever won any singing / songwriter awards? If so, what?
No, but I would like to attend a song writing competition. Singing competitions such as American Idol, are not my thing. It might work for others, and that is a good thing if that is what you want to do, but for me, it’s not something I would even consider. One of my vocal coaches asked me if I was going to attend the Norwegian Idol competition. I told her, it isn’t my thing, since I’m more into getting my own music out there, with my own style and sound.
- To be honest, I don't blame you.... Nina, just what is it that inspires you to write?
- What thing are you most proud of in your life?
- Hey, let's get morbid. When they write your obituary, what do you hope they will say about your songs and writing? What do you hope they will say about you?
Well, I hope they will say that my songs have moved them in some way, that there is some kind of recognition in my music, that it can help people open up their eyes and think. I hope that they will say that I am in constant development, both artistically, and personally, that my songs are the kind of songs that will always be out there.
- Okay, Nina, bring us into your home now. Set the scene for us when you are writing, what does it look like?
I do write during daytime as well, I always keep my moleskin and my pen in my pocket, since I tend to get inspired by all kinds of things wherever I go. I write by hand, and then I write everything on my laptop afterwards. I can write in a crowded place, I don't mind people talking, cars passing by or dogs barking outside. I am so into my thing, into writing, I'm completely in my own world, so noise is no problem.
When I’m at home writing, I do prefer to have some background music. It can be anything from Heavy metal to Britney Spears, to rap, to Erykah Badu... Lightning must be good enough for me to see what I’m writing, but no bright lights. I love scented candlelight.... I usually sit in my living room, in my sofa writing, or at my kitchen table, which also is in one part of my living room.
- And is there anyone you'd like to specifically acknowledge who has inspired, motivated, encouraged or supported your writing?
- Nina, is there any lesson or moral you hope your songs might reveal to those who listen?
- Okay, thanks for that. Nina, is there anything else you want readers to know, such as information on where to find your songs, any blogs you may have, or how we can learn more about you and writing.
I'm just a girl who wants to make music, and through my music contribute to a better world. - We can all make a small change, that means a lot to others...
- I love street fashion; baggy jeans and hoodies, sneakers and hip hop....
I love pretty dresses as well, and high heels...
I love dancing, theatre, painting and drawing
I love animals...cats, dogs, horses...and I kind of like snakes as well.
I love hanging with my buddies
I love being with my girlfriends
I think that it is kind of cute at times, how angry some rappers and hip hoppers sound.... well, they might be angry as well, and often with a good reason, yet I can’t help smiling sometimes.... but I love rap though.
I think it is one of the coolest forms of music, and I have a lot of respect for those who can rap well. I like Eminem, he’s cute when he puts up his angry face... hope I did not insult him with that comment, if he should ever read this. That was not my intention anyway. And I would love to collaborate with some one from the rap/hip hop industry!
- I have a passion for fashion, but I’m no slave to it....
- I would love to have a pair of lilac Dr.Martens again...
- I like donuts, covered in chocolate, sprinkled with nuts.... mmm....
- I would like to meet Tom Jones, simply because he is so darn cool! :)
- I eat very little meat. I love vegetarian food; a lot of my friends are vegetarians.
- I love drums, and I’m getting a drum-pad, to practice playing the drums.
- I am addicted to bubblegum.
- I do not eat mushrooms.... they’re mushy!
- I love the grunge style! Not that I could ever dress all grunge, but a hint of grunge is kind of cool, I think!
- I would love to meet Jamie Oliver, and have him showing me how to make some cool dishes, cause he makes cooking look fun, and easy!
- I love vacuum cleaning; the sound of the vacuum cleaner is like therapy.... like a mantra...huuuuummmm...
- I’m a goofball....
- At times, I think too much...
- I love sitting in cafés, with a ton of books, my notebook, and a cup of coffee...
- I laugh a lot
- I smile a lot
- I cry easily
- I get sad when I see people in pain
- I get sad when I see animals being treated in a bad way...
- I love pizza
- I love chocolate
- I love Horseback riding
- I’m a tomboy at times
- I love doing typical girly stuff, such as shop, watch chick flicks, have my nails done, and just enjoy being a girl.
- I suck at painting nails...I’ll stick to painting pictures, canvas works better for me!
- I love old houses, architecture, and interior design.
- I love the `Lion King`!!! Seen it a bunch of times:)
- I’m me. 100%. And quite happy with that.
If you have any questions for Nina, or would like to know more about her, please contact me and I'll pass it on.
- Next post on Tell Me a Story - Nina.
Looking for a good read? Try:-
orPast Sins - Contemporary fiction
End of post - An interview with Norwegian singer, Nina Klokset - continued