Today I'm interviewing Susie Clinkard.
Hi Susie, would you like to share with us how you came up with the idea for this book and what is the title?
- Hello, AJ. Well, "Circuits" is called that because life is full of circles... you often end up repeating mistakes/relationship disasters/all sorts of things. It was written as a cathartic way of laying down some bad s**t in my life... and it worked; I feel much better! "S**t Happens" was named as it was said by a friend of mine's partner of 12 years when she asked him why he was sh***ing her best friend..."
- The stories come to me in a rough form, and gain flesh and blood as I write...
- Yes, but not the details...
- Yes, they are based either entirely, but usually only partially on people I have met or known.
- In both completed books, and in the 3rd, which is halfway through, there are aspects of me in characters...but never a complete, accurate portrayal of my character.
- I like the beginning and the end in both books, and the start of my 3rd ("No Unnecessary Risks")...the end is going to be a corker, too!
- Well, AJ, "Circuits" is 'chick-lit', "S**t Happens" is more thriller/horror...the genre I am happiest with.
- At the end of the first book, I sent it to a few and was accepted within a week by two of them. Publication wasn't a big deal for me...I write because I have to.
- None... They wanted to charge me at first, but ended up only taking a small amount for artwork for the cover of "Circuits". Neither are charging for "S**t Happens"; (I had the good fortune to have two publishers after that, again, and this time they really like it and feel it will sell itself).
- Nothing! Sorry, but I write because I love it, not for fame and fortune...I think maybe that is why my books sell?
- A warm feeling that they've enjoyed a good read! As one friend said to me after reading "S**t Happens" for me last week..."I shall miss the characters!" That was really, really nice...
- I can't actually stop...the floodgates are open! The 3rd, "No Unnecessary Risks" is about child abduction and paedophiles...another thriller/horror.
- "Circuits" is available through Amazon, Play.com. or to order through bookshops (Athena Press). "S**t Happens" is out before Christmas...I haven't quite decided who this will be with... I need a publisher who will be prepared to take a book every 9-12 months or so from me, and I believe I might be accepting an offer from Dorrance.
- Underway at the moment...I write under Susie Clinkard, so watch this space!