Saturday 3 October 2009

The forward motion of verbs

Tell Me a Story .

I've just found this quote and I think it sums up a lot about writing style. It neatly encompasses one of my pet rants. In my opinion, a number of published writers would do well to take note.

Forward motion in any piece of writing is carried by verbs.

Verbs are the action words of the language and the most important. Turn to any passage on any page of a successful novel and notice the high percentage of verbs. Beginning writers always use too many adjectives and adverbs and generally use too many dependent clauses. Count your words and words of verbal force (like that word “force” I just used).

WILLIAM SLOANE


next post

---------------------------------------------------------------
Holidays in Alicante - the Hidden Spain
Lens Coating - What Everybody Ought to Know


No comments: